Friday, January 1, 2010

January 1, 2010

HEALTH, SIMPLIFY, SHARE, LEARN, BALANCE

Okay, so my five words for 2010 are not balanced (Health is a noun, as is (perhaps) Balance; the others are verbs), and there are FIVE, rather than three, which is an example of my need to simplify.  Notice that one word is not DECIDE.  Maybe I can tackle Decisions in 2011, but it would be too much of a challenge for me with all of these others (or on it's own). 

So on this first day of 2010, here are some ways I've thought about these words and what I've done today.

Health:  I've been pretending I don't REALLY have a cold, but I woke up this morning feeling really stuffed up, with watery eyes, and just generally run down.  Some Tylenol, more sleep, then a warm shower helped.  I kind of like the pretending that I'm not sick; I'm getting some stuff done.  Maybe this weekend, I'll give in to it and just read and nap for a while.  The weather seems to be encouraging hibernation.  I've cleared an area for yoga, which I will do in a few minutes.  We planned weekend food:  chipotle chicken soup in the crock pot.  We made enough for a few days, and we are planning to do a long-simmering spaghetti sauce with meatballs for the beginning of the week.  We still need to make sure that we've planned for dinners, so we don't just grab the quickest thing to make (full of sodium and preservatives and ick) when we are home from work and tired.  The soup helped to clear my sinuses a bit, which felt great.  I've also asked my yoga instructor when the next session begins, so that I can jump back in with the class.  I'm debating a drive to belly dance classes once a week, but that will add about 90 minutes more to my driving; will 60 minutes of shimmying balance out all the driving I do?

Simplify:  Threw out stuff that is cluttering up things.  I need to take time to sort bills, receipts, etc., so that some will be filed, and some will be tossed.  I've sorted some reading material in the living room, and I've relocated some things to the dining room for now, but they will soon be put back into the spare room.

Share:  I've planned six courses for teachers to get them using technology.  I'll offer the courses on moodle for the teachers in our district.  This weekend, I will create a course outline for each of them, and I will present them to our district's administrators next week.  I'll also finish up a December/January newsletter about technology integration. 

Learn:  One thing I realized today that I want to learn (or at least figure out) is a new jewelry-making technique.  I've wanted to do this for about 18 months, and the two things that are holding me back now are the need for a level surface (and our house has few of them!) and enough supplies to experiment and not waste the resin once it's mixed.

Balance:  Yoga tonight?  I'll also choose a book to read next and take the time to begin it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment